Sunday, February 25, 2007

Nice to Ice

Saturday was the perfect day for getting out on the roads and the trails. The snow melt left the trails still packed from the snowmobiles and I was able to travel almost as fast as when they are dirt. Some of the corners were a little slick and icy but otherwise the trails were the fastest they have been all winter since the snow came.

The plan for the day called for big gear intervals so after a short trip around the trails I exited onto the roads for some slow cadence, big gear work. The roads were mostly dirt but in some places you could see the ice peeking through. I tried to stay in the big ring/small cog as much as possible and stayed seated for all of the efforts. I eventually wound my way over to Chris's where I joined him and two more for a couple hours on the roads. I rode most of the ride in a big gear to keep up the strength work. Not many big hills around here and the first race in Tennessee is only 8 weeks away.

We headed back toward my place so they could ride the trails before they got too soft. The surface was slightly soft but I didn't have any problems with the wider tires I was using. By the time I finished the day I had almost 5 hours in. My legs felt pretty good in spite of the workout and I would have ridden longer but I had promised to be home by a certain time.

Today it was spitting rain, sleet and snow off and on. The side streets were covered and looked slick so I opted for the SS with the studded tires. Once rolling out the driveway I could tell I made the right choice in tires. No need for a repeat of last weekend.

After I was out for awhile the sleet started up again and the glasses became useless. Then it turned to rain and back to harder sleet that stung. I didn't get to ride as long as I wanted to but at least I was riding outside.

On a work related note people have been wondering what has been going on with my company, DaimlerChrysler. They announced over a week ago a turn around plan (again) and subsequent staff reductions. The most ominous part was the comment that they were considering all options to make the company profitable.

Most took that to mean a potential sale of Chrysler. A lot of press was generated and it looks like there is some interest from potential buyers. Everyone at work is just waiting to see what is going to happen. We don't know anymore than what we have read in the papers.

As far as reductions go we should be OK due to the announced buyout packages reducing the employees to the required number. I am not eligible for a package and I imagine a lot who are will take it. I know I would look at it pretty hard given the uncertainty of a sale.

Stay tuned for more info as it happens but you will probably read about it in the papers before we know anything.

No comments: