Sunday, August 05, 2007

Wilderness 101


The Wilderness 101 was probably the hardest of the four races I've done this year in the national hundred mile series. The climbs were very long and some steep and most of the singletrack was very rocky, and not the kind of weathered rocks like we have in Michigan. Very sharp, jagged, and big.

I will post a follow-up report in a day or two but the short story is I finished 2nd for the third time this year, almost assuring me a 2nd place overall in the national series. The same guy beat me again by a much greater margin this time. Granted this was his home course but I just can't seem to sustain any energy when it comes to 4 or 5 mile climbs with 1,300 feet of elevation gain. I need to figure out a better training strategy for that kind of terrain.

I will say that I didn't have much of a problem with the rocks, I was even passing quite a few people in them. I think the larger 29 inch wheels played a big part in that. The bike really flies when it comes to downhills, particularly on the gravel roads. I was amazed at how many people I would pass, only to see them again when they crawled past me on the uphills.

We visited the Cannondale factory in Bedford, PA the day before the race. Pictures to follow. Coming from the automotive industry I was surprised to see the lack of any automation in the building process. When they say hand made they really mean it.

5 comments:

The Kinley's said...

I didn't know you raced four hundred miles!

Steve Kinley said...

I told you it was a hard race :-)

Sheila and Sarah said...

Nice blog. I found your site via the mtbr forum. You responded to my 29er question. Heading out to Ft. Custer TT next weekend, hopefully with a 29er. Getting ready for Iceman.

TP said...

Steve,
Congrats on 2nd! Keep rockin', I love to read the race descriptions you post!

Danielle Musto said...

Hey...my e-mail address is daniellemustoatyahoo.com