Sunday, February 22, 2009

Strapping on the boards

Finally! We ended up getting a few inches of snow yesterday and another inch overnight so Sandy and I were able to get out and do some XC skiing. This was my first time on the new skis.

Comparing new and old skis is like comparing night and day. The old pair are old, old school. Three pin bindings, super long, and more ski shoe than boot. The new skis are significantly shorter, slightly parabolic with metal edges, step in bindings, and more like a hiking boot.

The new skis need to be skied a little more aggressively than the old pair to make the best use of the grip. I think maybe the old pair have been used so long that there isn't as much spring left in them so the kick area contacts the snow all the time. Which may also explain why the new ones are so much faster when gliding. And it was nice to not have snow get inside my boots for a change.

Earlier this morning I headed to Lansing for the MMBA annual meeting and expo to help set up the Cannondale display with our sales rep, Jason. This was a new venue for the meeting which previously has been held over on the east side. The Lansing facility was much nicer from a comfort and space perspective but the attendance appeared down from previous years. Especially the lack of swap meet vendors, usually a big draw for attendees.

I was able to score a few items at a good deal, all new stuff from the Cannondale area. Included in my deals was a sweet carbon BB30 crank for a new Cannondale frame yet to be ordered. I want to try something a little different this year along with my usual 29'er bikes. I can't tell yet what it is until I actually build it.

Yesterday I beat the snow and was able to ride outside for almost 3.5 hours. Not nearly as many miles as last weekend but I was riding several of the local trails instead of all the roads. Speaking of roads, most of the dirt roads were very icy and more than once my studded tires saved me from going down.

Hopefully they will get the roads cleared this week so we can get out again for some longer rides. It won't be too long before the racing season is upon us.

My new crank for a hopefully new frame.

No comments: