Friday, May 23, 2008

Finally, a Lake Orion High School MTB Race Completed


After being rained out two weeks ago we finally managed to hold our first race, the second one on the schedule, if that makes sense. Of course it was nice all week except on our race afternoon when the rain slowly moved in and was spitting on and off during the races. Fortunately the harder rain held off until after the races were over.

While we had a small student turnout, we had a decent adult group given the weather. The older Advanced Men class, which is mine, had the biggest group of the day with 8 racers.

At the start the front guys took off so fast the rest of us lasted about a minute before falling off the pace. I slowly worked my way back up to one rider and the my team mate Bernie, who was glued to my wheel, and I passed him 3/4 way through the first lap. Bernie stayed right behind me for 4.5 laps before falling in a singletrack section and I was finally able to put a gap on him. I ended up 3rd and Bernie was 4th. The races only lasted about an hour but it was at a very fast pace since it was short in comparison to weekend races. But that was the intent.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and the school was pleased as well. Hopefully the weather will be better for the next race and those who raced will spread the word. The next two races are June 4th and 11th. We have moved the student races back to a 5:45 start time to allow parents more time to get their kids to the races.

I want to thank Rochester Bike Shop for providing pre-race bike inspections and to Peppy's Pizza for their donation of pizzas for after the kids races.

Pictures from the race can be found here

No comments: