Wednesday, May 17, 2006

First dirt for the Rush

The rain held off long enough after work that I was able to get the Rush out on the back roads for its maiden voyage. I didn't really get a chance to test the handling but checked out the suspension a few times on some of the drier potholes. Did I say holes? What holes? It was if they weren't there. The front wasn't as smooth as the rear but I need to adjust the air pressure.

I think the cockpit is just about right but can still be tweaked, I want to play around with a few stems and a setback seatpost to see what they will do. I can see it will be quicker in the singletrack but it felt slower than my Scalpel on the road. It's only about 1.5 pounds heavier so I thought maybe it was the more aggressive tread I had on the back combined with the new seating position.

I started to hear chirping noises from the front wheel while riding and checked it out when I got done. It seems the spare wheel I threw on with the semislick tread does not have the rotor spaced exactly the same as the new Crossmax. The front brake was dragging fairly hard which helps explain the sluggishness, the wheel wouldn't turn far when given a spin. The new wheel is dead on the center of the caliper and has no drag at all, the different wheel and new brake pads combined to cause the drag.

I think I'll be sticking to the roads for now given the weather forecast. Hopefully I can test it offroad soon.

No comments: