Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

The past year had been a pretty good one from a personal and race results perspective. A raise at work would have been nice but those of us in the auto industry are happy to still have jobs. I know quite a few that had lost theirs or been part of the downsizing process through retirements. Unfortunately I don't see things as being too much better in 2007.

A mini review of 2006 in the racing scene saw me move up in age category to 50+ and also win the CPS series. For this year I will move into the newly created Expert age class but I don't plan on racing too many of the CPS events. Other races are on the schedule to take their place. I didn't race many of the Fun Promotions Endurance races but I did do enough to take third in the 40+ class and take the overall win at the Drummond Island 24 hour. I also raced in two 100 mile races, finishing second in both. I wanted to do the rest of the national series but funds and time limited my choices.

This year I hope to do more of the 100 mile races and may not do as many of the local races. Again, finances will dictate the final schedule. Plus we have to make plans for Jason's wedding at the end of July out in Spokane so that will also play a big part in what races I do. I have already signed up for two races, the Tennessee 12 hour in April and the Iceman in November. The Mohican 100 is as pretty good bet though since I have a free entry from finishing 2nd there last year.

I continued to get in the base miles over the last few days, Saturday I got out for about 3.5 hours and two hours again on Sunday. Today was an easy 1.5 hour ride but into the wind on a SS still made it a little tougher than I wanted.

Friday we dropped off Jason at the airport and then my other son and I went to see the musical Spamalot. It was a gift from the boys. If you have seen the movie of Monty Python and the Holy Grail you know the basics of the musical. It was great fun and most of the famous bits were recreated on stage.

In some ways I'm glad the holiday season is over as I can get back to a regular schedule of eating and training. Not that I particularly want to go back to work but the temptation to eat will be reduced. I did manage to not gain a lot of weight but now it should be easier to keep it off and lose more. I can't resist sweets if it is around, fortunately we didn't have as much this year or I would have been in big trouble.

On to bigger and better things in 2007.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your races in 2007. Happy New Year.